Tuesday, January 16

A Little Respect! (Just a Little Bit,Just a Little Bit)

In as much as I dislike using public transport, feeling my ex-housemate would probably concur with me on, having to take the bus into town every day is revealing itself as an experience full of reflection,wonder and unexpected surprises. Generally filled with a fair mixture of 'stiff upper lip'newspaper-reading 'shirt 'n' tie'-wearing types,elderly passengers,idealistic students,unemployed wonderers and teenage parents with screaming babies,bus journeys could entertain you no end! What always strikes me is when I see, in the midst of neglect,lack of decency and respect, glimpses of civilization in unsuspected individuals who still seem to stand for what is good and beautiful in this world of ours.
This morning there had been a 'milk spilling' accident on one of the bus seats (before I walked in--just for those of you who were already prepared to point their finger at my legendary clumsiness);amongst the total indifference of passengers,driver and the guilty party as well,a little old lady got up,laid her newspaper over the spilling and made sure the driver was informed about the happening(not to mention that she warned every single on-coming-passenger!). Maybe there is something to be said about being old,repetitive and pedantic,but this lady showed,in my opinion,an admirable sense of civic responsability and respect. A couple of weeks ago I was watching the revelation of 2006 South African cinematography Totsi. Must say that I am a sucker for this kind of movies,but I really quite enjoyed it. Totsi tells the story of the homonymous protagonist,a young lad 'born and breed' in a disadvantaged suburb of Johannesburg, parentless,brought up on the street with the absolute conviction that stealing,murder and abuse are perfectly acceptable means to make ends meet. I won't tell you anymore,'cause if you haven't watched the movie,I don't want to be responsable for spoiling the surprise,but,again, this depiction of reality makes me reflect upon a behaviour that,if not as extreme as Totsi's, is radicated in all of us. Like the by-standers of "the milk spilling",like seeing an elderly struggling with their shopping bags and just passing them by,like meeting someone in the lift and not even bothering to offer them a smile,like those who watch the world catastrophically go by and remain silent thinking of the next Corry's episode..we are all at risk of developing the deadly postmodern syndrome of "it ain't mine,so why bother".But what if we were to seek a cure for this bullshitty indifference and claimed responsability for what is ours which,in those postmodern terms,is actually a great deal wider than "me and mine". It is the people I live with,the folks who live next door,my work collegues,the bloke selling "Big Issue" on the street, the milk spilling woman,the guy on the next blog,the increadibly annoying screaming baby on the bus and the list could go on and on and on..but I leave it up to your discretion and individual situations.
*On the subject,check out this intriguing post. Also as I was writing this post up I was reminded of Lilly Allen's video LDN. Enjoy,

6 comments:

Baron Hashbrown said...

You reminded me of this scene in 'Bananas':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsrakdT-skg

(yes that is Stallone, I'd never noticed before).
It's always nice to hope that a small act of kindness could be the butterfly's wing that starts a tornado.

Glad you liked the music recommendation. I almost challenge Bea with my library of little known music!

The Wee Italian Chick said...

wait 'til she hears that,Steve!
Re:Allen's Banana scene..it's hilarious!Thanks for that wee gem..can't believe that's Stallone! I am an idealist/eternal optimist and that makes me think that difference can be made.Like the analogy of the butterfly.

Baron Hashbrown said...

Please note the 'almost'. I realise that as with many subjects I must remain in awe of her professional status compared to mine of 'enthusiastic amateur'!

Cayetana Altovoltaje said...

Well my dears, beware that at the moment I am plunging into the little-known world of Spanish hip-hop.
No, I'm not tripping.
I loved the Lilly Allen video; it somehow reminded me of Salford. I wish I had the power of beautifying vision, but I don't.
I also wish people in general were more civic. And that not only refers to "behaving" - not dumping trash on the street and being kind to old ladies-, but actually taking the responsibility of telling other people when they're being asses. I think most of the times, we don't speak up because we're too lazy or afraid we'll get beaten. But we should be warriors, my friends.
Yah, the political lyrics have that effect :)

PD: even though I've come to hate Allen (Woody, not Lilly), I think most of his early films are genious, and that bananas scene shows it. THanks, Steve!

The Wee Italian Chick said...

Indeed,the master writer is back!Good to read you,matey!And I totally agree --civic responsability in the wider as in the tiniest sense are what we lack. Guess in order to want to live in Salford one must develop Lilly Allen style imagination or,to be more accurate,dream dreams of hope that things can be improved (sure they couldn't go much worse anyway..)

The Wee Italian Chick said...

by the way,what's the story with "Spanish Hip Hop"? Tell me/blog me more! (I'm intrigued!)